Every student in NSW should have the opportunity to reach their potential, to learn with their peers, and feel a sense of belonging in their school.
But One Nation’s NSW Education Legislation Amendment (Parental Rights) Bill 2020 harms trans and gender diverse students by denying their existence and preventing teachers and counsellors from supporting them. It allows parents to withdraw their child from a class or program which tells them LGBTIQ+ people are just like everyone else.
This bill would:
- prohibit schools from teaching that trans and gender diverse people exist and should be treated with respect;
- prohibit school counsellors from affirming a trans or gender diverse student or providing them with any support or referrals to gender affirming support;
- put teachers at risk of losing their job when they support a trans or gender diverse student in affirming their identity;
- enshrine biological fallacies, and describe intersex people as disordered;
- allow parents to deny their children access to lessons in public schools which may contradict their political, social or personal values, including their views about LGBTIQ+ people.
Now a parliamentary committee chaired by One Nation NSW’s leader Mark Latham, has endorsed many aspects of the bill and made further recommendations directly attacking the safety and inclusion bill of trans and gender diverse young people at school. These recommendations include preventing trans and gender diverse young people from being able to seek confidential support from their school counsellor, access bathrooms in which they feel safe, and take part in school sport.
Every child deserves a quality education in a school which supports and welcomes them. Use our handy tool to email your political leaders, asking them to reject the findings of the committee report, and stop this harmful bill.