This election, the Australian community voted against the politics of division and hate. We are united in our belief that every one of us, no matter who we are or whom we love, deserves to live with dignity and respect.
But we have a long way to go to ensure LGBTIQ+ people can live free from discrimination and harm. That’s why we’re calling on the newly elected parliament to implement a 10 point plan for LGBTIQ+ equality this term.
As members of the LGBTIQ+ community and supporters, we call on all members of Parliament to act for equality by:
- Protect LGBTIQ+ people from discrimination in religious organisations
- End damaging conversion practices that seek to change or suppress who we are
- End unnecessary medical procedures performed on intersex people without their consent
- Count us in the next Census and key surveys
- Increase funding for LGBTIQ+ suicide prevention and mental health
- Ensure better access to gender affirming healthcare
- Ensure government decision making and services are inclusive of LGBTIQ+ people
- Support for LGBTIQ+ community organisations
- Appoint a Minister and Commissioner responsible for LGBTIQ+ people
- Appoint an Ambassador for LGBTIQ+ people and uphold the rights of LGBTIQ+ around the world, including those seeking our protection